Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A real scare, and a dietary scare within

An article in the newspaper today reports on a minor school bus accident where luckily all the children were unharmed. However, my nutrition awareness caused me to trip over this:

"Our staff got the children off the bus, stopped traffic and took them into the school and gave them cookies and juice," said Shawn O'Donnell, head of the school.

The bus driver was quite shaken up and worried about the children's welfare, O'Donnell said.

The accident aside, I would also worry about my child's welfare if strangers were feeding them "cookies and juice"! Once again I'm reminded that such unhealthy choices are deeply ingrained as comfort foods in our culture. As long as kids grow up thinking these things are normal, I fear that we'll never get a handle on obesity and diabetes.

No comments: